Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Montreal tourists talk about (Old Montreal + Notre Dame).

Old Montreal. 

Literally, the most famous touristic attraction in Montreal and also the one that I tried to avoid for as long as possible. Distinguished for its cobblestone streets and decidedly european architecture, Old Montreal is possibly the most picturesque spot in the city. Only a couple of blocks away from Chinatown and overlooking the Old Port, Old Montreal is where everyone gathers for good music, and even better food. This is the Montreal tourists talk about.


As I made my way to the Historic City Centre, I couldn't help but feeling a bit of nostalgia. This was like stepping back into a hippie version of Montmartre, with all the artists standing around selling portraits, and the people drinking coffee out in the terraces. 

My first stop (after breakfast, bien sûr!), was the Bonsecours Market. Located in a building that dates back to 1844, it has to be one of the loveliest markets I visited in Canada. It's clean, organized and focused on souvenir-seeking, hungry tourists rather than locals. It is great for buying maple-everything ;)!


The Market is conveniently located right next to the Old Port, which was the second place I visited that morning. I will be talking about it in a different post, but for now, I will leave you with a photo of the Clock Tower (which also acts as Lighthouse) and a tiny peek of Clock Tower Beach (can you spot it?). 


That day, I also visited what became one of my favorite places in Montreal: Notre Dame. 

For someone who claims to be as non-religious as I do, I sure do visit a whole lot of temples. In the city where I'm from, it is said that we have a church in every corner and I soon found out that applied to Quebec too. There are churches everywhere

While I was in Montreal I visited Queen Mary Cathedral expecting to find some sort of astounding resemblance to St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican. Thaaaat...kind of went badly. However, I still went to Notre Dame's Basilica trying to find some common ground with Notre Dame de Paris and this time around, I did not leave disappointed. In fact, it was exactly the other way around. 


Upon entering Notre Dame, my jaw dropped to the floor. 


I love the complexity of Neo-gothic architecture and I adore the absolute perfection (exactitude?) it conveys. 

Long story short, my inner Art Historian had just found its happy place. 


After sitting there for what must have been hours and posting a few Snaps (you can find me as ferookie , in case you want in on the fun), it was time to move on.


(Sadly & hesitatingly, because I loved this place).

From then on, my afternoon went slowly by as I bought souvenirs, ate ice-cream, and walked around dodging other tourists. There are so many of us out there, you guys. 


I honestly don't know why I avoided Old Montreal so much at first. It is a truly relaxed part of town, while also lively and fun. I guess I don't like feeling like "one of the bunch" among the hoards of tourists and fellow foreigners (and there are always outsiders in this place), but let's just say that if I had the chance, I would take an afternoon stroll around here any day. 

Except maybe during winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment